Why Muscle Hypertrophy Is Essential For Fast Muscle Growth & Power?
It is a process of increasing the size of the skeletal muscles in a growth of its component cells & its strength, this kind of transformation in the muscles is known as Muscle hypertrophy.
Most important factor in a hypertrophy is a growth hormone inside a body.
Muscle hypertrophy is directly proportional to the anabolic processes inside the body.
Therefore, hypertrophy is a process of change in muscles, which depends on the different types of factors like:-
- Amount of weight
- Rest period between Sets
- Number of Reps & Sets
- Testosterone Level
- Anabolic Steroids
- Protein Synthesis
TYPES OF HYPERTROPHY PROGRAM
Muscle Hypertrophy workout is further categorized into its sub parts.
As we all know there are two most important purpose behind any muscle growth.
Size & Strength.
Unfortunately, many of the people misunderstood this simple concept.
Everyone thinks that, if someone muscles are bigger, then he is surely the strongest guy.
This is just a myth, to be strong has nothing to do with the size of the muscles.
There are two types of Muscle hypertrophy:-
- Myofibrillar Hypertrophy (Increase Size of Muscles)
- Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (Increase Strength of Muscles)
1) MYOFIBRILLAR HYPERTROPHY
Myofibrillar Hypertrophy increases the number of fibers inside the muscles.
It increases the number of myofibrillar inside the muscles.
Powerlifters, Boxers, Sprinters, Footballer and Strength Lifters, are the best example of this hypertrophy.
Factors Affecting Myofibrillar Hypertrophy
- Number of Repetitions – Repetitions range is between 1- 5 per set.
- Number of sets – Sets range is between 5 – 8.
- Rest interval – Rest period is between 3 to 5 min.
- Intensity – The intensity of weight should be 85 – 100 % of 1 repetition maximum.
- TUT ( Time Under Tension) – It will be between 0 to 2 seconds.
- Tempo – Not important.
- Muscle Fibre – It involves Fast Twitch Muscle Fibres.
- Volume – Training is between 45 min – 1-hour maximum, which is low.
ADVANTAGES OF MYOFIBRILLAR HYPERTROPHY
- Increase in Muscle Fibres.
- Improve in Strength & Power.
- Neural Drive is increased to the muscles.
- An increase in Speed & Explosiveness of the muscles.
- Synchronization of Motor Units is Increased.
- Increase the contraction of the muscles.
- Improve the functioning of Central Nervous System.
- A high speed of Metabolism.
DISADVANTAGES OF MYOFIBRILLAR HYPERTROPHY
- Over training Injuries.
- Preventive Measures.
- Performance Problems.
- Minor injuries can cause issues.
- Muscle Size will not increase.
2) SARCOPLASMIC HYPERTROPHY
Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy increases the fluid inside the muscles cells.
The fluid consists of approx 25 – 30 % of muscle size.
This results in the increase of muscle size.
Bodybuilders, Fitness Models & Marathon Runners, are the best examples of this hypertrophy.
Factors Affecting Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy
- Number of Repetitions – Repetition range is between 8 – 15 repetitions per set.
- Number of sets – Sets range is between 2 – 3.
- Rest interval – Rest period is between 60 – 90 seconds.
- Intensity – The intensity of weight should be 0 – 75 % of 1 repetition maximum.
- TUT ( Time Under Tension) – It will be at least 4 seconds to infinity.
- Tempo – Normally 3 seconds (concentric motion), 1 second (isometric motion), 3 seconds (eccentric motion).
- Muscle Fibre – It involves Slow Twitch Muscle Fibres.
- Volume – Training is between 1 to 2 hours maximum, which is high.
ADVANTAGES OF SARCOPLASMIC HYPERTROPHY
- Improve Mental Health.
- Improve Body Structure.
- Mood Booster.
- Promote Self-satisfaction.
- Decrease Stress Hormone.
- Good Eating pattern.
- Improves Life style habits.
- Gives symmetry to a body.
- Small injuries don’t affect the workout.
- An increase in Cross Sectional Area of the Muscles.
DISADVANTAGES OF SARCOPLASMIC HYPERTROPHY
- Decrease in Density of Muscle Fibers.
- Low speed of Metabolism.
- Lack of Power and Strength.
- Decrease in Speed & Explosiveness.
- Low Contraction of muscles.
- Central Nervous system becomes weak.
- Neural Drive is decreased in the muscles.
MYOFIBRILLAR HYPERTROPHY VS SARCOPLASMIC HYPERTROPHY – WHICH ONE IS BETTER?
You must be thinking, which one would be the best approach?
Typical human mind always wants to choose the best option.
Frankly speaking there is nothing as the best option in this case.
Your goal will decide the best option for you.
Let me give you a scenario,
- If you are planning to do bodybuilding shows or modeling, in which your main goal is just to look muscular & bigger on stage, then you must choose the myofibrillar hypertrophy approach, which would give you a better shape and size.
- The second option is for the real athletes, whose focus is on performance rather than just an appearance, like powerlifters, sprinters, football players even some wrestlers.
For this kind of people, they must focus on sarcoplasmic hypertrophy, which would develop their strength and power to the next level.
HYBRID APPROACH – MIXTURE OF BOTH OF THE HYPERTROPHIES
The best way for an athlete to grow is to mix both of the approaches.
Let me discuss you the 2 cases:-
1) To Increase the Muscle Size & Maintain Shape
In this case, a person should do compound movements in the beginning, with a myofibrillar hypertrophy approach.
Like- Bench press, Deadlift, Overhead press, Squats, etc.
This will increase the strength and power in the muscles, which will have a more capacity to grow in size for the future.
2) To Increase the Muscle Power & Strength
In this case, a person should do isolation movements, in the beginning, to increase the size of the muscles with a myofibrillar hypertrophy approach.
This will increase the size of the muscles, which will have more capacity to become stronger in the future.
This is a smart approach, which anyone can apply to reach their goals.
Many athletes have applied this approach,
for example, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ronnie Coleman, Reg Park,
Johnnie Jackson and Franco Columbo.
CONCLUSION OF THE STORY
It’s time to decide,
What you really want to achieve through your training?
Everybody is looking for a shortcut approach everywhere in life.
Success has no shortcut, just remember this.
Just imagine a body with huge muscles, but no power inside it.
On the other hand, body with a lot of power but no size in it.
Both are important in life, but the priorities might be different from person to person.
It’s time for you to decide your training purpose & how you see yourself after 5 years from now.
I hope now must understand the importance of muscle hypertrophy, or else you will not be able to realize whether you building muscles are or increasing power.
Check out this blog post in detail,