9 Major Side Effects of OverTraining in the Gym which will Stop Your Growth
What is OverTraining?
OverTraining is a major concern nowadays, among everyone whether they are male or female.
They don’t understand that doing gym more than the required limit will cause a catabolic stress in their muscles which will definitely reduce their gains.
Overtraining is a process of giving your body more stress and work it can handle, by giving your body so much overload through a workout by exercising faster than their body can repair the muscle repair.
Appropriate Time for a Workout is 45 min to 1-hour maximum not beyond it, or else the body will be completed in a catabolic state and it will start breaking down the body, it doesn’t matter how heavy you are lifting in the gym.
Nowadays it is very much common in a gym, where people are doing a workout for more than 1 hour, just to impress others or by just copying the workout pattern of other celebrities.
Following are the major side effects of overtraining, which are as follows:-
- Causes Muscle Soreness
- Hit Plateau Faster by Stop making Gains
- Slow down of Muscle Recovery Process
- Poor Athletic performance due to Lack of Strength and Endurance
- Activates Insomnia or Lack of Sleep
- More chances of Causing Injury
- Altered Resting Heart Rate
- Immune System become Weak or Vulnerable
- The Decrease in Appetite with Weight Loss
1) Causes Muscle Soreness
Muscle Soreness is caused by heavy workouts, which causes muscle tissues to break down due to overtraining which causes a huge amount of pressure on to the muscle fibers, which causes muscle pain.
Major Causes of Muscle Soreness
- Starting a workout or a new exercise first time or after a long break of time.
- Adding a new variation to the workout.
- Increase the intensity of the exercise like a number of sets, amount of reps, weight, etc.
- Shortening the rest periods between two exercises or sets.
2) Hit Plateau Faster by Stop making Gains & Makes you Weaker
Doing overtraining will make you weaker by stopping your gains, as because of lack of rest and muscle repair your body hit a plateau much faster.
Major Causes of Muscle Plateau
- Doing the same workout each day.
- No changes in a workout routine
- The same intensity of workouts.
3) Slow down of Muscle Recovery Process
Due to overtraining the muscle recovery process becomes slow, the muscle does not get time to recover due to which it stopped growing and this is the worst case scenario for the body.
Major Causes of Lack of Muscle Recovery
- Body Becomes too much catabolic or breaks down of muscles.
- No Proper rest given to muscles in a form of OFF day.
- Wastage of Protein Synthesis process due to lack of rest.
4) Poor Athletic Performance due to Lack of Strength & Endurance
The strength of muscles is also started to drop due to overtraining which makes muscle to lift lighter weights as the fast twitch muscle fiber do not have proper strength to use muscle glycogen for a heavy lift for a Low Repetitions and High-Intensity workouts & slow twitch muscle fiber can’t be able to use the glucose properly for High Repetitions & Low-Intensity workouts.
Major Causes of Losing Strength and Endurance
- Lack of Proper Sleep.
- No OFF day is given to the body.
- Body hits a plateau due to too much training.
5) Activates Insomnia or Lack of Sleep
Insomnia is caused by overtraining due to which a person can’t be able to sleep properly. Therefore due to which a person face problems like lack of muscle growth, no fat loss, weakness, depression, lack of energy, increase in stress levels, poor focusing power, etc.
Major Causes of Insomnia
- Nasal or Sinus Allergies
- Gastrointestinal problems such as reflux
- Endocrine problems such as hyperthyroidism
- Neurological conditions such as Parkinson’s disease
- Chronic pain
- Low back pain
6) More chances of Causing Injury
Overtraining can cause injury at any time and place, therefore a person must always be aware of his or her body, or always consider a spotter whenever they are performing power movements which are involving strength and explosiveness.
Major Causes of Injury
- Lack of Rest.
- Too much intensity during a workout.
7) Altered Resting Heart Rate
This is a common problem which is faced by the persons who are doing overtraining, there have uneven heart rate issues which sometimes speed up their metabolism and sometimes slow it down.
Major Causes of Heart Rate Alteration
- Heart Attack
- High Levels of Potassium
8) Immune System becomes Weak or Vulnerable
Yes, it is right, overtraining not only affects the body externally but it also affects the body internally by weakens the immune system, which will make you vulnerable for any kind of disease that can attack you at any time.
Major Causes of Weak Immune System
- Heart Attack
- High Potassium
- High or Low Blood Pressure
- High or Low Blood Sugar
9) The decrease in Appetite with Weight Loss
Overtraining can cause a rapid weight loss, due to which the metabolism of the body increased because of overtraining which also causes lack of hunger with fewer sugar cravings.
Major Causes of Decrease in Appetite with Weight Loss
- Gut Diseases
- Stress and Depression
These are the major side effects which are caused by overtraining, whether it is in a gym or outside.
Training your body is really important but it doesn’t mean that you don’t give your body too much time to grow by becoming so much catabolic, that anabolic process doesn’t take place in your body which will help you to gain muscles or lose body fat.
Any growth in our body takes place when we give our body complete rest, which is the Anabolic Window for Growth, therefore never try to miss this window or else all blood and sweat during the workout will mean Nothing.
Growth Hormones activate inside our body when we give complete rest to our body after the intense workout, which helps the muscles to grow and most importantly it controls all the basic functions of our body.
If you like this blog post, then share your thoughts below and share this blog with all of those people who are overtraining according to you.