Fiber is the substance found in plants that our bodies can’t be able to digest easily.
It is neither absorbed or digested. It actually passes quickly through your digestive tract, mostly intact, and it is not broken down like other foods.
The requirement of fiber in a food for men is between 30 to 38 grams & for women, it is up to 25 grams.
Fiber helps to remove harmful ingredients from the digestive tract, or else you will have irregularity, constipation, and sluggishness. It can increase your risk of colon cancer, as well as other serious health issues.
Advantages of Fiber
- Reduce the risk of Heart disease.
- Lower the cholesterol.
- Control Blood Pressure.
- Reduce Inflammation.
- Helps in Weight Loss.
- Maintains Glucose Level in The blood.
- Prevent Colon Cancer.
Types of Fibers
There are two types of fibers:-
- Soluble Fibers.
- Insoluble Fibers.
- In case of Soluble Fibers, it dissolves with the water & creates a gel-like substance, which helps to lower the blood cholesterol & levels of glucose in the blood.
Example: Oats, peas, citrus fruits, apples, legumes/beans, etc.
- Insoluble Fibers are the substances which absorb with water & it adds a bulk into your digestive tract & helps to keep a flow of moving things more quickly.
Example: Wheat, cabbage, carrots, Brussel sprouts & nuts.
They are the best meal, for both muscle building & fat loss.
Good for diabetes patients.
1 cup of oatmeal = 54 grams of carbs.
Boil it in 2 cups of water, for 5 to 10 min.
Other benefits of oatmeal are as follows:-
- Rich source of Complex Carbs.
- Higher in Protein & Fat.
- Contains Vitamins & Minerals.
- Rich in Antioxidants.
- Increase Good Cholesterol.
- Controls the Blood Sugar Level.
- Helps to lose weight.
- Reduce Hunger for a longer duration.
- Improves the Quality of Skin.
- Reduce the Risk of Asthma.
- Relieve Constipation.
1 cup of brown rice = 45 grams of carbs.
It takes 20 to 25 min to cook.
Other benefits of brown rice are:-
- Maintains Energy for a longer duration.
- Helps to digest fats.
- Increase Good Cholesterol.
- Avoids Cancer.
- Control Sugar level in the blood.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
- Helps in weight management.
Red cabbage is renowned for containing a lot of fiber in it.
You can build your immunity and overall health by consuming it in salads.
Other benefits of cabbage are as follows:-
- Rich in Vitamin C.
- Contains Sulphur.
- Prevents Cancer.
- Anti-inflammatory agent.
- Improves Vision.
- Helps in Weight loss.
- Brain Health.
- Strong Bones.
- Regulates Blood Pressure.
- Detoxifies the body.
- Improve the quality of the skin.
It consists of almonds and walnuts which are rich in amino acids such as arginine. which helps improve blood flow.
Benefits of nuts are as follows:-
- Improving the blood flow.
- High in unsaturated fats ( good fats ).
- Omega 3 fatty acids.
- Rich in fiber ( prevent type 2 diabetes ).
- Vitamin E ( helps in the development of arteries )
- Plant sterols ( lowers bad cholesterol ).
Broccoli is one of the most important foods, which gives a number of health benefits like:-
- Vitamin K ( helps in blood clotting ).
- Vitamin C ( heal wounds & antioxidant ).
- Fiber (lower the bad cholesterol ).
- Potassium ( improve the function of a heart ).
- Folate ( maintain the new cells in the body ).
These are my top picks which everyone must include in their diet plan to increase the fiber content of their diet.
Nowadays everyone talks about muscle building or fat loss, but no one truly understands the importance of fiber-rich foods in their diet, which is also connected to building muscles & losing body fat.
Therefore, always include these top foods in your diet for improving the overall health of your body.