WHAT IS A PEAK WEEK?
This approach is followed by bodybuilders or fitness models, before competition or photo shoot.
It’s a very tough way for reducing fat but also one of the fastest way of them all.
This approach is not for beginners, it will definitely give you very quick results, in a short time, but it is also very hard to digest if anyone is not prepared mentally.
Let me discuss the training schedule day by day:-
ADVANTAGES OF PEAK WEEK
- Proper Muscles Definition.
- Increase the visibility of Six Packs.
- Filter out the unnecessary water from the body.
- Clear the skin.
- Insulin sensitivity.
- Decrease the sugar level of the body.
DISADVANTAGES OF PEAK WEEK
- Decrease the appetite.
- Erectile Dysfunction.
- Low Sex Drive.
- Dehydration Problems.
- Metabolic Issues.
- Less enjoyment during meals.
- Loss of Muscle Mass.
- Not for Diabetics or suffering from any other disease.
Whole Week Schedule For a Peak Week
Here I am going to discuss the whole week schedule, which an athlete used to follow before his or her competition date.
This approach is also called as conditioning before a competition.
It’s difficult to follow this approach for a longer period of time, that’s why it is followed in a last week of the competition to avoid any kind of future health issues.
Every day in a peak week has its own importance if anyone will miss any one of the points given on the schedule then he or she will be back on ground zero.
Therefore, the schedule for a proper week is as follows:-
- Day 6 – Day 3 ( Carb Depleting & Water Loading Phase )
Say no to carbs, during this period.
Only protein, healthy fats, vegetables & do regular exercise.
Morning – cardio, evening – weight training.
( GOAL: TO DEPLETE FAT, GLUCOSE & BURN THEM BY DOING EXERCISES FIRST 4 DAYS )
- Day 2 – Day 1 ( Carb Loading & Water Depleting Phase )
On Day 1, Carb ( only complex carbs ) loading ( 1 gram/pound ) , protein ( 1 gram/pound ) water depletion .
Cutwater to a gallon.
On Day 2, Carb ( only complex carbs ) loading ( 2 gram/pound ), protein ( 1 gram/pound ) & water depletion to half a gallon now.
( 1 LIQUID GALLON = 3.7 LITRES ( APPROX )
( 1 POUND = 0.45 KILOGRAMS )
FOODS TO AVOID DURING THE PEAK WEEK
- NO SODIUM
To cut out the liquid from the body, to avoid bloating & give a proper definition.
- NO SUPPLEMENTS
They contain Sugar, which will spike the insulin level.
- NO SALT
- NO FAT
- NO OIL ( SPECIALLY REFINED )
(WATER INTAKE TABLE )
DAY 6 : 3 LITRE
DAY 5: 4 LITRE
DAY 4: 5 LITRE
DAY 3: 6 LITRE
DAY 2 : 3 LITRE
DAY 1: 1 LITRE
(REMEMBER: If you are diabetic or suffering from any other disease then kindly do not follow this diet plan & consult your doctor before going for it, or else you will be in serious trouble).
Peak Week Training Schedule
The focus of training schedule for the last week is to minimize the overall body fat percentage of the body, with the minimum of muscle loss.
Here I am discussing day by day, about the training schedule, as follows:-
DAY 6 – DAY 3
(Goal is to deplete body fat & glucose by burning them by doing exercises for first 4 days) .
Focus on following points, while training during a peak week:-
- Do morning cardio & abs exercises, with an empty stomach for about 30 to 40 minutes, to minimize the fat percentage of the body.
- In evening perform the weight training, with light to moderate amount of weights, never go too intense while lifting weights because that will make you sore, retain water or look flat & thin on stage.
- Perform isolation movements of each & every body part, for 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes max, the focus is on focus on each and every body part for a proper shape and pump, which will keep the water inside the muscle cells to feel you full and tight.
- The main focus of the evening routine is to perform metabolic stress. As I said choose weights wisely, that is only low to moderate, or else it will lead to failure & you will store the water in the body parts you exercise.
- Always stop a few repetitions short of failure with still getting enough stimulation to retain that muscle glycogen, which will help you to retain water on contest day, which will make you fuller on stage.
2) Day 2 – Day 1
( Goal is to make muscle glycogen full & make it look hard & dense without make it small & thin ).
- Lighter the load, do circuit training around 30 to 45 minutes, by picking one exercise per body part.
- Do 10 to 20 repetitions each exercise, to maintain pump inside the muscles.
- Don’t go near to failure on any weight, 50 to 60 % per repetition max, not beyond it.
- By doing this you will save the muscle glycogen inside the muscles, without having too much energy loss.
- Remember don’t do too much cardio in the final week which will lead to retaining water in the legs & intestine area also.
( Always remember, you must lose too much fat before you peak week so that you may not need to do too much cardio in the end & it will also slow down your recovery because the main purpose is to look lean on the stage ).
Peak Week Nutrition Tips
The following tips are as follows:-
- Reduce protein intake starting from the beginning of the week, but add it 5 % every day until the show day.
- Carbohydrates give your muscles around and fuller look, too many carbs will give you watery and soft look, too less will keep your muscles small & thin by keeping you flat.
- Keep fat to normal range, except if you are following a ketogenic approach.
- On show day, eat low fiber foods to avoid feeling full, like a rice cake, white rice, sweet potato, chicken, steak, even some sweets.
- Never forget to eat a high carb, high sodium, high-fat diet, before 2 hours of on-stage performance, like try a sandwich with cheese & turkey as your high sodium meal. ( sodium, carbs and fat will pull water into the vascular system of your muscles, by making it full and vascular ).
- On the show also drink a normal amount of water by not exceeding it, so that your stomach doesn’t look fuller.
The Bottom Line of this post is to look your Best on the stage, with a ripped physique.
The main purpose of a peak week is to store water inside the muscles more as compare to outside.
70 % water is inside the muscles & 30 % is outside the muscles.
When anyone depletes the water it doesn’t change the ratio of water storage, depleting the water will cause the body to create hormones to retain more water.
Everyone must maximize his or her ability to store water inside the muscles, not outside it.
The Bottom Line is this that this approach is not everyone’s cup of tea.
A Strong Willpower is needed if you want to stick to this approach.
Just remember one thing, this is a temporary solution, not a permanent one, as soon as you will finish this process & go back to the normal diet, then again you will gain fat.
Remember: Peak week is not essential for the beginners who are looking to shed some fat to look good, this approach is only for the athletes who are professionally preparing for a competition.